Ask for help! Even though it’s hard to do, it’s something we all need to learn and do. Here are 7 ways you can easily use to make your relationships better.
Asking for help is hard
One of the biggest mistakes a lot of people make in relationships and life is not asking for help. We don’t want to admit that we have a problem we can’t solve or a need that we cannot meet. We don’t want to let others know that our marriage is in trouble, our kids are rebellious, our finances are not in order or that we have made mistakes. Our pride and self-sufficiency often get in the way.
Asking for help seems weak. Sometimes we are concerned that those we might ask for help will ridicule or think less of us. So instead of asking for help, we struggle and try to address the challenges of life on our own.
Instead of asking for help, many turn to things that don’t help in order to self-medicate the pain they are in or they deny they even have a problem at all. The result is that you live a less than successful life and suffer for it.
If this is something you struggle with, here are a few ways to turn this around and ask for help.
7 ways to ask for help
- Admit you have a problem or challenge that you can’t handle on your own.
- Think about the people you know who have faced the same challenge you are going through and reach out to them.
- Look for someone you can trust that will gladly help you or give you some input.
- Look for resources like books or websites that will give you strategies and tools to help you deal with your problem.
- Reach out to experts or professionals like coaches, therapists, pastors or financial planners who help people all the time.
- Ask God for wisdom to know what to do and to guide you to the right people who can help.
- Swallow your pride, face your fear and just do it. Ask someone to help you.
One of my favorite Bible verses is James 1:5 which says
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”James 1:5
Remember that struggles, problems and challenges in life are normal. All of us face challenges and all of us have problems. Those who learn they need help and ask for it are the ones who overcome these challenges and then are qualified to help others. Instead of saying “I got this”, let’s learn to say, “Can you help me?”
Check this video out – Get help even if you think you don’t need it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVWF1W5ar2w
What other ways can you think of to ask for help?